November 11, 2014

Dumped on my birthday.

I have quite a few unedited update blogs, but I just thought I would scribble this one quickly........

Yesterday in Tondo was a very different kind of day. We always go not really knowing what a day will bring. We are always met with needs.

 But yesterday was weird! I was met at the rusty church gate by two young women from the dump site community. They put a blind fold on my eyes and took my hand, one at each side. It was strangely quiet. My blindfold was removed and a group of young men boomed out "Happy Birthday" on a variety of instruments. I suddenly had a flash back to when they were little barefoot boys playing in the trash Now young men, following Jesus, skilled in their musicianship.
Cool moment!


Handmade confetti, a multitude of colors, each tiny square hand cut by younger children in the community. They hung it carefully above where I was standing in a "chicken joy box" (popular fast food chain Jollibee)
A yummy chocolate  cake was presented. Last year the women done the same and bought me a cake as a gift. I was later moved to tears to know that they had sacrificed their whole days earnings to buy one. Would I have thought to do that for someone?

A beautiful poster with carefully handcrafted notes, delicate butterflies shaped from card and individually curled ribbons attached. So lovely.

Ron and I went to lead worship in our time in the house of prayer. We were joined by many of the community, all ages. It was such a special session. These times that we have together loving Jesus are so precious each week. The sweet presence of Holy Spirit was so evident. He was touching hearts afresh. It was a beautiful time loving through song and interceding in prayer for the communities.

After that they wanted a time of "appreciation". Over the years I have come to learn this is a normal birthday thing, but I find it so totally awkward! I was trying to explain we don't do this in Scotland. Each person there takes the mic and says a memory or appreciation of the person whose birthday it is. Its truly awkward, but lovely how they get all transparent and emotional as they relay special memories ( whosever birthday it is)

What really blessed us was to hear some things of how God had used our mission to change lives. God has been so faithful. He really changes lives! It also blessed me to think that every partner who has given to our ministry has also been so part of the change.

After that some of the mothers had prepared pink Jelly in recycled yogurt pots. They made delicious chicken adobo and rice. There we all sat at tables in the middle of a dump site, with flies buzzing round our plates- as a family.


When our bellies were full some of the youth said they had no gift for me but wanted to bless me. I was sat down on a chair. First they checked my head for lice (quite common buddies here in the slums! hehe) and massaged my head, massaged my hands and done my hair in a pretty style. It's not the first time the young women have done this over the years. It's so humbling.

It felt wrong to have them do this for me. After all we are the ones called to serve right?! But I knew it made them happy to be able to give and we so want those with limited means to feel the joy that they can also give.
It's always precious to have extra time with the young women just catching up on how their lives are. Throwback moments came to mind as I remembered them coming into the feeding program as children saying how hungry they felt. I remember them learning Jesus loves me and I remember when each of them came to know Him as a friend. They are now young women, in college and leading others to the Jesus they love.
-Another cool moment!

 I am writing this in the hope to convey a little more of how special this community of people are. In the worlds eyes, they have nothing, but oh my in the eyes of God, how rich they are because in spite of their financial lack, they find ways to give. Not just to me on my birthday, but to others inside and outside of their community. Lets allow my friends to challenge us ( and me again), how else can we give? What else can we practically do to bless someone else? How can we use our time and talents to put a smile on someone else's face? What more can we do to show love and care to those around us?

What a privilege to be on this dumpsite for another year. Will we be here this time next year? We have no clue, but what I do know is God has been so faithful thus far and I know he always will be.

"You've  never failed and You won't start now" (Oceans, Hillsongs)

literally falling asleep with the lice check :)


No comments:

Post a Comment