March 1, 2012

Barbie came to the dump site!

Walking in the swelltering heat doing house visits on the dump site we heard a mans voice shout from behind...
"Hey, she looks like Barbie!"
The comment was directed to a  very special volunteer that I'll try my best to tell you a wee bit about. :)

Barbie AKA Maureen, a 70 year old with the energy of a 17 year old came to volunteer with us 3 years ago. On her first visit she stayed for 6 months. She returned the following year for another 6 months.Then in 2011 she felt a pull in her spirit to do it again. She gave another year of her life to the work and left Manila yesterday.

Maureen came simply with a huge heart to serve. She had a willing spirit just to do whatever was needed- whenever. Throughout her time Maureen  got involved in a bit of everything. Here's some of what she got up to.( I'm sure I'll forget loads)

-Overseeing and helping train workers for our creche for 1-4 year old (brave lady- its nuts in there!)
-Helping out at the feeding program serving thousands of meals, cleaning little plates, holding little hands and bringing big smiles to children who often don't have much to cheer them up.
-Running the drama group
-Supporting at bible studies, prayer meetings and visitations
-Assisting at youth camps and field trips
-Leading art activities at kids clubs and drop in centre
-Doing a host of unglamouros but vital jobs such as  cleaning infested stockrooms, sorting donations, making paper decortaions, taking pictures for sponsors... and more cleaning!

I almost forgot dancing in front of a few hundred Filipinos at community concerts!

I could gibber on but you get the idea. She came to love and help out wherever we needed her to! She came to build relationships and really care. It was such a blessing to have an extra pair of hands and a listening ear around. She added to the team with her experience, creative ideas and Scottish banter!

I know Maureen won't mind me mentioning the fact that she was a little accident prone during her stay! There are a few incidents that come to mind but this is number one on the charts!

 She is the first volunteer to end up tumbling into a man hole thingy at the dump site resulting in her being covered in mud, squidge and whatever else was down there!. The ladies in Tondo thought they would help her out by hosing her down-with her clothes still on! Did Maureen complain being absolutly soaked by the locals?Not at all! She giggled all the day long!

There is loads more I could write about how fab Maureen is, but I'm doing this while our bouncing baba is napping so it has to be a little on the rushed side.

Maureen, our team, children, youth and mummy's in Tondo and Navotas love you and will really miss having you around. You are an amazing example of dropping everything to go on an unknown journey, stepping out in faith with Jesus and heeding the call to go and serve. I hope I have the same zeal and compassion that you have when I'm your age. (I know you don't mind me mentioning how many years young you are!) I pray I would have the same teachable spirit,always willing to learn and ever aware of  depending on the Saviour- as you are.

Thank you for being a great friend.

To anyone thinking about volunteering or going on short term mission-NEVER think you are too old! Don't be like so many and say "Oh I would love to do something like that". Take Maureens example... go and do it! If it's a desire in your heart, take a step of faith and let God work out the rest!

2 comments:

  1. I worked in Bolivia as a missionary, when I was young, so I saw plenty of poverty and other unpleasant things, but I never had to do anything near to what Maureen has done at age 70, ie working with chilrden in a dump site that floods, surounded by real vermin, working and living in sweltering heat. I could not begin to do what she has done, and I am not yet 70!! But I thank the Lord every day that Maureen could and DID do it. She has stored up treasure in heaven. May she continue to be blessed and used.
    Gladi Cotton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen is a blessing to all who touch her life, she is a beautiful soul put here to serve and give inspiration to others that they might do the same. Well done Maureen you AMAZING lady!

    ReplyDelete