November 23, 2014

Our mission is not our identity.

Being a missionary Mama is a privilege, but it's not my identity.
Doing ministry in the slums of Manila with a lovely husband and special team, a privilege, but not my identity.

"Be willing to stay forever and Be willing to go in a moment"

This was the advice I was given years ago from a man who had ministered in Romania. I asked him if there was one piece of advice he could give, what it would be.
I appreciate more now why it was such good advice.

What we do, is not the sum of who we are.

My identity is in Christ.

If we lose focus on Jesus and make our mission our world- it's an idol

If we give up all our time with Jesus because people "need our help"- they are an idol.

Christ wants to be first.

The greatest commandment, out of everything He could have said?

He asks us to LOVE HIM FIRST then LOVE OTHERS.

We must do both, but we must strive to put Him where He deserves to be in our lives- really first.

When we first arrived in Manilas largest dump site, I just wanted to respond. But in honesty in that first season I got it wrong. Without knowing it at the time I was putting people, "Gods work" before God.
The result? We felt burned out really quickly!
Why? Because you can only give away what you get from being with Jesus.
When you are with Jesus and know His heart, His direction, you don't have to struggle to make things work- He shows You one step at a time what to do and with that comes His peace.

Ministry, mission, a calling- is NOT about us!
It's about God.

I think we missionaries know this in theory but I'm sad to say that I have witnessed many times where the ministry becomes that persons identity. It consumes who they are. Their whole lives would be totally devastated if they had to leave their mission. Stepping away and letting someone else lead what they have built would be soul destroying-identity destroying. Gods' work no longer becomes about God, it becomes about them.
Instead of getting their worth in who Christ is and who He says they are, they get their identity in their work.

Scary stuff! But challenging, how very many times have I put other things before God?!

We are all disposable. It's not about us. God used people before us and He will use people after us. When? No clue. It's up to Him.


A few people have been asking us since the relocation of the Navotas Cemetery Community was relocated if we are so sad.
I am sad for my friends who have to start over. I am sad they will miss their neighbors greatly. I am sad they are facing new challenges. I am sad I may no longer see some of them again.

Am I sad, we no longer have a church there or able to run community programs there?
No, because its not about us.

None of it is about us.

God has allowed the relocation and I believe with all my heart He will do a new thing in the lives of the people. He has delivered them from the tombs. He is giving them a new start. Many challenges, yes, but I know He will be with them and lead His people each step of the way. The good news of who He is will spread. Not one more baby will be born among they tombs.

The families are resilient and creative, they will find new ways to live. I have heard of Pastors rushing to the relocation sites to hang on to their church. But it's not their to hang on to really is it? 

Im not saying it's wrong to set up at the relocation sites. Support is clearly needed in some,but I think its arrogant to assume that the people "wont survive" without ministries or NGOS.
For us, if God asks us to begin a work at the relocation sites, we will. If He doesn't, we wont. Same goes for when the dump site is demolished. We have learned never to try to plan this far ahead! But what comfort that none of it will be a surprise to God!

I'm embarassed to say I have witnesses in some organizations a kind of ownership of people and sad to say even in Christian ministries.  This is not how it's ment to be! They are not "our families", "our beneficiaries" , "our" anything! They are people God made whom we have the privilege to know and partner with, whether a short or long season.

People are not ours! Communities are not ours.
Organizations that we even establish and lead are not ours.

Our aim must be leading people to follow Jesus whether we are there or not. Not followers of people , of churches or organizations- of JESUS. 

In our missions we must remember that we are here to build for Gods kingdom- for His Glory- not to build an empire for ourselves or for others to see.

It's all about God and if we have a chance to play a tiny tiny part , helping support the  communities He calls us to, then what a privilege, but we need to be ready to give it all up if He asks us, because God is the main character in this, not us dust formed little people.

Oh that I could truly have a fresh revelation every day and remember and live like every area of life is no longer my own. Marriage, kids, ministry, friendships, money, time
- whatever, they are, are  not mine!

Oh to live as though I am truly holding "everything loosely but Christ"

He wants us, before He wants what we do for Him.

Isn't it mind blowing that God wants our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment