November 2, 2010

Are you a singer....well....em?

I sat down to write a blog about funny things said in kids church, but I can hear my lovely hubby playing his guitar and singing in the other room and it reminded me of a question I was asked yesterday by an author from New Zealand who came to visit.

" Are you a singer?" 

"Well,,, em," I stuttered..."sometimes".

So why on earth did I give such a vague  answer?! What does "sometimes" mean anyway?! How ridiculous! lol :)

I used to teach creative arts. Part of my work involved teaching people how to sing  and I made a pretty good living from it.  I have had the privilege of being involved in worship teams since I was 14. I performed in lots of concerts. I love to sing. It's defiantly part of who God made me. So why on earth was I not sure when I was asked such a simple question?!

Well, we have been working with the beautiful people of Manilas largest dump site and surrounding area for almost 3 years now.  Within these 3 years we have breathed in a whole lot of dust and methane gases coming from the burning trash. The notes that I used to sing, are now kind of a croak. Sometimes while Ron and I would be leading worship my voice will completely disappear and  fit of coughing would take its place. Frustrating to say the least!

one of the families living in the charcoal making area
I have never really thought of this until tonight.......I wonder how many people who live at the charcoal area at the dump site used to sing?I wonder how many had a beautiful voice before it was  stolen by the raging gases that exude from the burning charcoal 24 hours a day? I wonder how many of them have been gifted with talents that they are not able to use because of the horrific surrounding they live in.  They still bring a song and so can I. I am blessed.Whether I croak or sing..whether my voice comes out sounding  the way I want it to or not.. I will sing because it's the One I'm singing for that really matters. 

One of the first songs I ever wrote was this;

 I call to my remembrance my song in the night
When I sing that song everythings alright
 No matter what I'm feeling
No matter how dark it is
No matter what the circumstance I'll raise my voice
I'll raise my hands and sing sing sing
Lord I sing. I sing. I sing

I sing through the broken times
I choose to sing
By grace the choice is mine to praise
Like a child I come a picture of praise I hold to you
You accept this worship in love.

No matter what the circumstance
No matter what the circumstance
I'll raise my voice
I'll raise my hands and sing sing sing
Lord I sing. I sing. I sing
Have you ever had your child or a child you love run up to you and stretch their arms out to give you a painting or a drawing that they have done? You open it and its a fantastic mess of colorful scribbles? What do you say to them? Usually something along the lines of "Oh that's amazing. Well done. I love it" Why?  It's not so much the picture that's important as the one who gave it. They gave it from the heart with love.

I have a wonderful friend with a beautiful voice and an even more beautiful way of bringing music and joy to others. She has given her voice to teaching hundreds of people and inspired them in ways no one else could have. So much so that she has lost her singing voice. But I've watched as she teaches - it doesn't make one bit of difference to her students. They still come in their hundreds because its not really about the singing voice at all. Its about the one singing.

I'm sure that's the way our Father is with us. It's all about our heart. We can have a song in our hearts everyday, even if it doesn't come out sounding exactly angelic!

"I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being" Psalm 104:33


singing their hearts out
 


4 comments:

  1. i never realize until i read this blog about the people in the dumpsite who may have talents and abilities but they end up loosing it because of the environment and lifestyle. this reminds me of mark serdal who moved to manila two years ago with dreams of becoming a rockstar but unfortunately the tv show didn't get much rating so they sent them packing. mark didn't have money to go back home to the province and no money for rent and food so he ended up living with his uncle in the dumpsite. the first time i met him he told me that he can play guitar but then when he demonstrated, i was surprised on how good he realy is. there are a lot more like him but they just need a chance and people to tell them that they can use these gifts the way the Lord intended it in the first place. I'm not being bias but my wife has got an angelic voice. That's one of the first things that attracted me to her. She is a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ate Joanna,

    This is beautiful. Your singing voice is beautiful. I'm thankful that you are doing such great work to help discover the gifts & talents that the people in the dumpsite have. The children's choir is so amazing. These videos really made me miss the Philippines.

    Praying for you & all the people there. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Joanna! What a lovely thought. I'm sure you know your talents are a gift from God & you honour Him every time you use them. I can honestly say, I know of no-one who uses their talents for good more than you.

    I have always been apologetic about my awful singing, but after reading your blog today, I will sing all the louder in church & remember that when Nina is smiling at me, its not because she is laughing at my singing, but because she is happy I am singing to her.

    Thank you & God Bless. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna, this is absolutely lovely and so true. Thank you for sharing your thought process with us!

    Have a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete