November 16, 2010

white funeral

I watched today as my husband and another team mate collected the trash that surrounded our friend Nhora's coffin before the funeral service began. I listened as a pastor asked some neighbours to stop gambling around the coffin. I held broken hearted children as they sobbed for their lovely mama. How desperately they want her back.

In many ways it was a sad sight but it was also a time to rejoice. I could not help being happy to think of Nhora enjoying heaven. I could not help smile as I thought of her life and the legacy of love she left behind. 

In the midst of the cultural chaos  I was blessed with a symbolic sight. In the middle of Ron taking the funeral I  looked through teary eyes to notice that most of the people present were wearing white. How strange and significant all at the same time.

In Scotland as in other places the traditional attire to wear on such an occasion is black. I'm still not sure if white is the done colour here in the Philippines but it was a visual reminder to me of where beautiful Nhora is now. 

"... and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments....." Revelation 3:4,5

How wonderful that the focus had turned to the reality that Nhora was now in the presence of her Lord Jesus. I am exited that one day we will see her again......

stairway to paradise by Thomas Kinkade

   No more tears Ate Nhora......

No comments:

Post a Comment