June 20, 2012

Coming face to face with suffering is one of the hardest things.

Coming face to face with real suffering is one of the hardest things.When you have done all you can do to try and alleviate their pain and you feel so helpless, all you can do is cry and pour out your heart before God for them. Doesn't matter how many times you see the injustice of suffering. It doesn't get easier. I'm thankful we believe in the God who feels....

This is Mary Chris (on the left)




This is Mary Chris



Yesterday Mary Chris and her family did not know Ron and I were going to do a house visit. When we got there we found the mother and husband of Mary sitting crying. They are heartbroken. They are all suffering.


20 year old Mary has been diagnosed with malnutrition and tuberculosis. She had been confined in hospital until the family were told by staff that "the government has run out of money for treatment" and so she was sent home with a long list of medicines and other items she was supposed to buy. Her husband Babie  works all hours collecting and cleaning plastic bottles.He is a hard worker but could not even begin to afford most of the items on that list. Yesterday he was so loving with his wife. He held her skeletal frame and kept gently rubbish her arm. He told her in front of Ron and I that she was still beautiful.

We are so grateful that several people have responded and have made it possible for us to buy the medicines, daily needs and pay for hospital fees. This was the news that we gave them yesterday. Their tears of despair turned into tears of relief and thankfulness. They said they knew God had heard their prayers after all. He saw them cry.

We were able to spend a long time with this lovely family yesterday. We have come face to face with much suffering before and I could probably count on one hand the times when we have actually cried in front of people. I personally find there is a strength that takes over and allows us to focus on trying  to help rather than be consumed by emotion. For me it's when I go to the secret place and am physically away from the site that the tears flow for them. When I go and sit with God to talk about what we have seen or cuddle up beside my husband , many times its then I feel the real burden and pain of the situation.
But when I sat face to face with Mary yesterday holding her frail hand. When I felt her skinny fingers cling onto mine and saw the pain in her beautiful but sunken eyes I could not stop myself from weeping.When I saw how she was in agony trying to move her position because of the pain of her bed sores, no words came.As we watched her do her very best to take sips of the vitamin drinks but vomited most of it straight back up, I could do nothing but sit quietly.

I felt totally and utterly useless.

We all wept and prayed together calling out to Jesus to heal her. We all cried from our hearts that God would step in and fix all that needed fixing. We all thanked God that He did hear our prayers and touched the hearts of people to respond in giving quickly.

                                                       Would you pray for this family.


I'm so glad we serve a God who feels. I know His heart beats with love for Mary Chris and her family. I know he cares.

I think of my own step dad at this time. He too is suffering greatly with cancer. I am physically far away but I know my family who have watched him fight so bravely and become so frail are hurting. I'm sure they feel helpless. I do.I know God cares.

I know our God is the only one who can change these situations.I trust that He knows best.

 I think each of us are called to do everything we possibly can to help those who are suffering.Our hearts tell us its so unjust and we are compelled to act. Yet our feelings of helplessness remind us that our efforts seem so small in comparison with one touch from Jesus.Everything in our being tells us that we need Him to step in and take over.

Please God, step in and take over.



No comments:

Post a Comment