July 16, 2012

Dirty Feet.

So I forgot my welly boots.I seem to have become increasingly forgetful since I became a Mama! Anyway as I was washing all the sludge off my feet after walking through the dump site it promoted a memory to be unlocked.

One of the first times I walked through the mushy toxic liquefied trash something significant happened that in all honesty kind of blew my mind at the time.My feet were really dirty with all sorts of "stuff" clinging to them. As soon as we entered the building located in the middle of the dump site a boy aged around 12 ran enthusiastically toward me almost knocking me over. His name was JP. He was a twin. His parents chose to keep his twin brother and he was left on the dump site. He ended up being raised by his Aunt who really loves him and has a great compassion for children in general. They still live on the dump site....

I was a bit bewildered at JP's excitement and wondered if he found something of value while scavenging through the trash. There were previous occasions when he couldn't wait to tell us he had found a bible and the other time a working guitar! He could hardly speak a word of English and I very little Tagalog at the time so he used gestures to lead me to a bench.I sat down. He held up his hands as if to stay "stay there... wait". So I did.

His next action gripped my heart and humbled me more than i can express. He brought a blue pale with clean water. When I say "clean" i mean not from the sewage or the street.He bent down and took off my shoes that were encrusted with a tar like substance and he began to wash my feet.

This young boy began to wash my dirty feet. When I realised what he was doing I tried to tell him he didn't have to and that I'd do it. He firmly but kindly told me with his hands to "stay". I was so humbled. This young boy had know much rejection but he also knew much love. He was displaying the character of Jesus right there and then in the middle of a dump site.He did not raise his head until my feet were spotless. He washed them with his hands and dried them with a rag. When he finished and the water in the bucket was dark brown and my feet were clean he looked up with the biggest smile.

That simple act probably never meant much to him. I'm sure he never planned to do it.He didn't stop to see who was watching. He was just moved to show kindness.

As on many many occasion there was again- the children we came to bless and help- blessing us. The ones we came to show love to- loving us.The ones we came to teach..... teaching us.

 Jesusrose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself.   After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. 6  John 13:4-6



No comments:

Post a Comment